Monday, November 30, 2009

The 'let go' command

I was recently let go from the place where I plied my craft (I left on ok terms). The only real issue I had was that the computer I used there was a company computer, and during the time I had spent there, I had done things such as purchase stuff on amazon.com, save passwords to various email accounts in browsers, etc. So to rectify this situation and ensure that nobody using the computer after me had access to my data, I rebooted the machine in recovery mode (this was an ubuntu box) and ran

find /home/tfdml/. -type f | xargs shred -fu ; rm -rf /home/tfdml/ ; shutdown -h now

then gathered my belonging's and left. Note that I could have just as easily switched to an alternate terminal with ctrl-alt-f1 and ran the command there.

This ensured, at least to my level of paranoia, that all my personal information was secure. Now, all documentation, code and notes were all stored in the company repo, so it's not like I was being malicious and destroying all the work I had done for the company. This removed all of my own personal information from the machine without having to reformat the drive or any other such drastic measures and allowed for the company to quickly turn the machine around for another worker to use.

(Edit: It turns out this command didnt work as well as I planned as apparently it took quite some time to run. Eventually one of the other dev's there saw the machine was on and simply turned it off since there was nobody using it anymore. This allowed the guy who got the computer after me access to some of the files in my account. In retrospect, I should delete all the huge files (anything over a gig, music directory, vm images) before running this command and ensuring that the command is only going to operate on a set of files that amount to at most a gig.)

No comments:

Post a Comment